Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Star Wars: Micro Galaxy Squadron - AT-ST


It's been awhile since I've featured anything Star Wars related on the blog and I've been sitting on these images for some time. In late 2022 Jada Toys rolled out a new line of small Star Wars toys under the banner Micro Galaxy Squadron. I had her zero about this line before finding them at local retail. I've always had an affection for the AT-ST and it's larger brethren, the AT-AT, so when I saw the old "chicken walker" hanging on the pegs I had to grab it to see first hand what this new line was all about.


When I first picked up one of the small blind box packages for the Micro Galaxy Squadron toys I immediately noticed the shiny gold "Launch Edition" sticker with the Millennium Falcon attached to the packaging. This seems to be a trend now as I've seen several other toy lines use this marketing gimmick to catch the eye of would be customer. I don't think there is anything special about the toys themselves that separates them from the non-Launch Edition that I've been able to notice. In fact, the line hasn't sold that well at my local Walmart so 99% of the toys on the shelves all have this gold sticker.



Out of the packaging and in my hands I got to say that I was impressed. I had purchased a few of the old Mattel Hot Wheels branded ships and vehicles in the past, but these were different. Long time fans may remember the Galoob Micro Machines line and while I never owned any of the Star Wars Micro Machines, I can see why this new line would evoke such memories.

Cast of plastic and standing at roughly 2 1/2" tall, this piece has a good amount of detail sculpted into the vehicle. From the detailing on the top of the hatch to the exposed wiring underneath the cockpit, the toy looks great. It's not as gray as I thought it should be, instead it has a "wash" of black and brown all over. I guess AT-ST is from the battle of Endor and not Hoth. The legs feature 3 points of articulation, hips, knees and ankles. The top half can rotate a full 360 degrees, but mine is very tight and I didn't want to risk stressing the plastic by turning it too much. The front gun pivots up and down while the side mounted gun can also rotate a full 360 degrees.


The hatch on the top of the vehicle opens to allow the included driver to be placed in the cockpit. Even inside there is sculpted detail, which to be honest could have been left out and it wouldn't have changed my already impressed opinion much.


The tiny AT-ST driver stands at roughly 3/4" tall. For such a small figure the detail and paint apps are pretty good. There are two points of articulation, arms and legs. Neither of the limbs move independently of each other. Move one arm and both move, same with the legs.


There is plenty of room inside for the figure to sit, in fact there is too much room as the figure rattles around inside. There isn't enough room for two figures nor is there anything to peg the figure into.


I think Jada Toys has a hit on their hands with this line, despite some of the larger vehicles collecting dust at my local Walmart. Some of the videos I've watched online of the X-Wing and Millennium Falcon look terrific and if I were a bigger Star Wars fan I may be tempted to pick up more vehicles from this line. If you're looking to expand your Star Wars collection, but are limited on space then this new series should be right up your alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment