Sunday, January 27, 2019

M.U.S.C.L.E. WWE Legends 3 Packs - 2018 SDCC Exclusive

Just in time for tonight's WWE Royal Rumble! While hitting up a few GameStop stores looking for clearance items for my older brother, I ran across two 3 packs of Mattel & Super 7's M.U.S.C.L.E. WWE Legends figures. I knew Super 7 had created new M.U.S.C.L.E. figures using other licenses, but outside of Masters of the Universe, I really didn't know what else they had released. Little did I know that Mattel released four 3 packs as exclusives at 2018 SDCC. I'm guessing GameStop bought the unsold stock? I guess they didn't sell that well either since these were on clearance for $3.99 each.


The first 3 pack I picked up contained Andre the Giant, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.





If you were a kid in 1986 when the original M.U.S.C.L.E. toys invaded toy shelves then you know just how awesome these non-articulated 2 inch figures are. If you're a fan of old school WWF (WWE) then these new figures should really appeal to you. 

There isn't anything new here. Mattel and Super 7 haven't re-invented the wheel, but they have struck that nostalgia cord in many of us that grew up as kids in the 80's. Sadly I don't have many M.U.S.C.L.E. figures anymore so I wasn't able to put them side by side with these new ones, however the new figures do appear to be "beefier" than the originals. Makes sense to me since these wrestling characters are a little over the top anyhow. 


The 2nd 3 pack that I was able to find contained Jake "the Snake" Roberts, Junkyard Dog and Ultimate Warrior.





I would have loved to have found the other two packs so I could have rounded out the set. Other characters included "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Iron Sheik, "Mean" Gene Okerlund, Million Dollar Man, Ric Flair and Sgt. Slaughter. Now that Hulk Hogan has repaired his relationship w/ WWE perhaps he'll be included in a future wave? 

If you'd like to add these to your M.U.S.C.L.E. or WWE collection, start hitting the clearance sections at your local GameStop stores before you'll have to resort to the overpriced secondary market.

2 comments:

  1. I would have been all over these as a kid, but them coming out in 2018 feels to novelty-ish for me, and god knows I have enough unwanted novelty items already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. These are awesome! Crossing my fingers that they'll make a Steamboat M.U.S.C.L.E. figure.

    ReplyDelete