Tuesday, September 25, 2018

GI Joe Sigma 6: Cobra Iron Grenadier

When Hasbro took the GI Joe franchise a new direction with Sigma 6 I was turned off like a lot of other fans. However once I allowed myself to experience a figure hands on I started to change my mind. Growing up with the 3 3/4" scale it was hard to accept the larger scale, but I started to realize that Hasbro hadn't turned their back on the iconic franchise. Hasbro was simply trying to breath new life into a stagnant brand and while it may not have been as successful as they wanted, it still yielded some cool toys.

One of which was the Iron Grenadier and it quickly became one of my favorites. Different from the ARAH version, yet similar, this was a fun toy that came with some pretty cool weapons and accessories.


I will point out these are some old pictures that were buried on my old laptop. I've since sold the figure in an effort to downsize my overall toy collection. 

Like with most of the Sigma 6 figures, there are ports (or holes ) on the figure that allow accessories such as armor to be attached. In this case you have a backpack of sorts that contain the red hoses that travel across the figure. I'm not sure if that supposed to be some kind of breathing apparatus or what, but it sure does look cool! The straps on his thighs are elastic, something else Hasbro tried with this series...using materials other than plastic.


The head sculpt is great in my opinion. You've got a stylized gray helmet with a Cobra logo off set to the right. The face is basically a large black mask with round, sharp red eyes. Combine the eyes with the red hoses and the Iron Grenadier has a very intimidating look.


These faceless troopers came pretty well armed. A large rifle with a removable yellow tipped projectile along with a removable magazine that held two additional projectiles. This magazine could also be attached to the rifle itself, basically making the figure self-contained when it came to the accessories.


Overall I thought the designers did a great job with this army builder character. Great design meets articulation. Had I had more space to designate to GI Joe in general, I would've made space for Sigma 6 as most of the figures I owned I really enjoyed. I've often wondered if Hasbro would ever go down this path again since the Joe brand is essentially dead right now (at least outside of the official GI Joe club), but let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment