Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Marvel Legends Infinite Series: Guardians of the Galaxy - Drax

When it was announced that WWE Super Star Batista was cast as Drax the Destroyer in this summer's blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I had my doubts. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Turns out in the end Dave Bautista did a good job bring the character to life. Hasbro also did a good job at bring this movie version of the character to action figure form.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1050_zps0f9e4bd1.jpg     GotG Drax photo IMG_1051_zpsf58aa29d.jpg

Drax comes packaged with the Groot Build-A-Figure torso and his two signature daggers. You can easily tell when holding the package in hand that he is largest figure in the series. The figure has some good heft to him. That alone makes the $20 retail price a little easier to swallow.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1053_zpsd60f588b.jpg

Drax's back story was changed a bit for the movie. While he does have a vendetta so to speak, it's not necessarily because of his family. Drax's sole purpose in life is to destroy the mad Titan, Thanos. I wish this aspect would have been played up more. If I were a betting man, this will story will be utilized in the sequel.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1060_zps83ed8ed3.jpg     GotG Drax photo IMG_1059_zps768062f2.jpg

I've been impressed with the overall likeness of the actor/actress with these GotG figures. Drax is no different. I can look at this figure, especially the head sculpt, and know it is the WWE wrestler Batista. I still prefer the comic look over the movie look, but the changes made to the character are still in line with the comic source material (unlike Gamora).

The red markings on his skin aren't just paint apps. They are actually molded onto the figure. This is a very nice touch and not something I had expected. Drax has excellent articulation - neck, shoulders, bicep swivel, elbow, wrists, mid section, waist, hips, thigh swivel, knee and ankle. I'm sure you can pull off better poses that what you'll see here!

GotG Drax photo IMG_1058_zps5f425ab3.jpg

Drax is usually depicted wielding two daggers when in combat and the movie version stayed true to this. On the side of each boot is a sheath for the knives. I love the little touches such as these.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1061_zps81cac92e.jpg

While I much prefer the classic comic version of Drax (right), I'm glad the powers that be at Marvel didn't stray too far from the source material.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1056_zps068d6eb5.jpg

Originally I was looking to just buy the BAF piece that was packaged with Drax, but once I found him at retail and I was able to hold him in hand and inspect the toy it was an easy decision to buy. The likeness to the actor, included weapons and little details such as the molded "tattoos" and booth sheaths put this figure over the top.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1055_zpsc11a3f0e.jpg

GotG Drax photo IMG_1057_zps9cd99f8a.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment