Friday, October 21, 2022

Micro Machines Transformers Micro Playset + Vehicle


Jazzwares has resurrected the Micro Machines brand and partnered with the Transformers brand. These  mystery blind package sets seemed to come out of no where with very little marketing, if any. For several months they were really hard to find, but during my work travels I located a few at a Target and grabbed several out of sheer curiosity. 

The plastic crate comes surrounded by a paper sleeve of sorts, completely shrink wrapped. Apparently there are some markings or codes on the bottom of the package that reveals which vehicle is included inside. It could be a normal Micro Machine vehicle or a Transformers themed vehicle. All of the Transformers included are based on the live action movies.


Once all of the packaging is removed you are left with this gray plastic crate. One one side is an embossed Micro Machines logo, while the other sides are non-descript. Each piece of the crate are held together with tabs, clipping onto one another. To disassemble the crate you just pull off the sides.


On the back side of each piece of the crate is scenery, that once assembled is the playset for the included Micro Machine vehicle. Here you can see I received Cliffjumper and the Desert Dunes Raceway.





Growing up I had a lot of Micro Machines and playsets so I thought I'd love this...and in theory these are pretty cool. Perhaps my tastes have just changed now being in my mid-40s. I have the Raceway built as the included instructions show, however you can reassemble most of it as you see it.


While the playset wasn't long for my collection, I did end up keeping the Cliffjumper vehicle since I'm a sucker for Micro Machines and Transformers...even though he's a basic repaint of the Movieverse Bumblebee Camaro.



Underneath the vehicle is a small box that hides the Transformers affiliation logo. Of course you can see it without the included decoder, but once underneath the red film the logo pops. This is of course a throwback to the Generation 1 Tech Specs and decoders

Overall these are a nice novelty item, but they didn't capture my attention enough to track down the other sets. I've seen some of the other designs of the playsets and they are cool so your mileage may vary.

2 comments:

  1. I saw they have 3 (or 4) packs of movie characters, and recently I saw an Optimus Prime carrier, that's a pretty tempting purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally saw the Optimus Prime playset in person...very tempting! Love the little G1 inspired Tracks that is included.

      Delete