Friday, January 18, 2013

Transformers G1: Goldback C-97


Inspiration for this post (and a few future posts) comes from my fellow TF fan and blogger aptkane who runs Pax Cybertron. He recently acquired a Italian GiG Throttlebot and that got me thinking of the few Takara Throttlebots I own.


Goldback, or better known as Goldbug, was actually one of my first vintage G1 Japanese TFs I bought when I got back into collecting. Even though the toy is unchanged from it's U.S. release I couldn't turn down the opportunity to add this little guy to my collection thanks in part to the awesome packaging.


Unfortunately my specimen has that dreaded crease flap bend that is really noticeable when looking at the back of the box. If you'll notice at the bottom of the box you'll see the transformation instructions. This is because the Japanese Throttlebots didn't include instructions or tech spec cards like the majority of G1 Takara TFs.


I didn't pay $16, but close to it! I can't believe what some sellers are asking for this toy now!


I really miss the styrofoam inserts such as this. The inner tray perfectly hugs and protects the toy while he hibernates away in his box. There is a small hole in the bottom of the styrofoam for you to push the figure up and out of the tray.





I always loved the Throttlebots growing up. Perhaps it was because they were inexpensive and I could easily talk my mom or my grandmother into buying one for me. Or maybe it was because of their pull back friction motor. Whatever the reason I'm glad I've got all of them. And did I mention how much I absolutely love these small Japanese boxes?!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, JEALOUS! I have a feeling I'm in for a hard time trying to find him in box, but this was awesome to read and see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete