Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Marvel Universe: Scarlet Witch

Hasbro's Marvel Universe line of 3 3/4" figures has been hit and miss with me.  When the line first started several years ago I found myself buying all of the figures I could get my hands on.  The loose joints that plagued some of the early figures or the lack of accessories didn't really seem to bother me.  While the toys have vastly been improved, I started to loose interest in the line when I decided to cut out reading just about all monthly comics.  I would still stop and look at some of the new figures I'd find at retail, but I hadn't felt compelled to buy any of them...and then I saw the Scarlet Witch.  The first one I found suffered from horrible paint apps around the head and face.  Thankfully though I'd find another one several weeks later and decided to pull the trigger.

Scarlet Witch photo Nov19040.jpg   Scarlet Witch photo Nov19041.jpg


The packaging really hasn't changed much since the line's inception.  The pack in item started off as a S.H.I.E.L.D. ID card and dossier, then latter changed to H.A.M.M.E.R. card and dossier following the big story lines from the Marvel comics.  Eventually this was dropped in favor of figure stands and now what they call a collectible comic shot.

Scarlet Witch photo Nov19046.jpg

Yeah, I don't get the purpose of these small pieces of cardboard either.  At least the old ID cards were trading card size and featured larger artwork.

Scarlet Witch photo Nov19042.jpg   Scarlet Witch photo Nov19044.jpg

Scarlet Witch features the now standard female body sculpt.  For the most part I don't mind this mold.  It's super articulated - head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, torso, thighs, knees and ankles - all points of articulation.  Even the head sculpt is nicely done.  I like how her hair flows over her headpiece onto the side of her face.  Colors are pretty spot on too to how she appears in the comics.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing a figure of Wanda in her gypsy looking costume from the Heroes Return / George Perez days from the comic.

The cape is one large sculpted piece of soft plastic.  I didn't try, but I'm sure you can pop off her head to remove the cape.  Overall I think the cape looks great, but the only problem I have with it is that it's a tad long.  Even with Wanda's legs completely straightened out I found the cape kept her feet from firmly standing on the ground.

 Scarlet Witch photo Nov19045.jpg

This long cape does help you pull off some "levitating" action shots however so perhaps this isn't such a bad thing after all.  Her lone accessory is this red blob that fits over her hand.  I'm guessing it's supposed to be a hex sphere...you tell me.  Overall I'm pleased with this figure and I'm glad I decided to pick her up.  She'll go nicely with my cast of other Marvel Universe Avengers characters.



2 comments:

  1. Not a bad figure but I wish Hasbro would start putting figure stands back in with these type of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm not the only one that misses those figure stands?!

      Delete