Sunday, April 3, 2022

WWE Elite Collection WrestleMania Series (2022): "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

 

Just in time for WrestleMania this weekend comes the annual Elite Collection WrestleMania series. The series features three hall of famers and a future HOFer. Each figure comes with a build-a-figure piece to build a tuxedo clad Vince McMahon.

I saved the best for last with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. This particular version of the Texas Rattlesnack is from WrestleMania XIX where he went up against the Rock.

The packaging for these WrestleMania figures mimics the regular Elite Collection, but mixes in the WrestleMania 38 logo...that unfortunately incorporates the Dallas Cowboys star. The back of the packaging lists some of Austin's career highlights, including the aforementioned WrestleMania XIX.


I watched more WCW in the 90's than I did of WWE's "Attitude" era, however I'd hear of Stone Cold's wild antics and eventually would tune in. He's not my favorite wrestler, but you can't argue that he's a legend in the business so if you're going to have a wrestling figure collection you kind of have to own a figure of Austin. 

Austin's ring gear was pretty consistent during his Stone Cold years and this figure replicates the vest and black trunks well. I love the included knee braces, something that began a staple look later in his career.


The head/face sculpts in this WrestleMania wave have been hit and miss, but they absolutely nailed the look of Stone Cold. Perhaps the bald head that made it easier to replicate his look, whatever the reason this is a great looking sculpt.


Unlock many of the other figures in this wave, Austin's vest isn't cloth and made of a soft plastic...which I am thankful for. The vest has his initials on one side and his trademark skull on the other side (and the back). It is removable if you wish.


His knee braces are also cast in a soft plastic and still allow movement with the knees. I believe that this brace to be the same that was used on the Dakoda Kai figure we looked at earlier, but obviously cast in black. Notice Steve's Texas tattoo above his ankle? I don't know I recall see that before.


If I have one gripe about this figure is the left ankle/foot...on my specimen at least the foot isn't attached to the leg that well. It doesn't effect the ankle joint, the foot can still lift up and down along w/ the ankle rocker still working.


The included Vince McMahon build-a-figure parts is Vince's head. After refreshing myself by watching some older content on Peacock today, I can confirm that the face sculpt is a good 80's representation of young(er) Mr. McMahon.

This by far is the best figure in the 2022 WrestleMania series and is a must own. I've yet to see this series at local retail, but I would imagine they'll sell fairly well, I mean doesn't everyone want a throw back announcer Vince McMahon figure in their collection?

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic figure. The only things that could have made it better would be a couple of cans. Just found out I could watch WM on Peacock. Maybe I'll watch his match from Saturday sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Vince sold the WWE Network (in the US) to NBC so if you have a Peacock subscription you can watch WWE anytime you want, including PPVs!

      Delete