Monday, December 21, 2020

Micro Machines: Christmas Stocking Stuffer #1

 

 

2020 saw the return of the Micro Machines brand. Hasbro acquired Galoob back in 1998 and thus Micro Machines. While Hasbro has tried to relaunched the scaled miniatures before (with not much success), for this relaunch they licensed the brand to Wicked Cool Toys.

While I had another Micro Machines review ready to go first, with Christmas just a few days away this is the perfect time to find this Christmas Stocker Stuffer I found at my local Target store. I believe these were merchandised in the holiday section of the store with other stocking stuffer toys, I've never actually seen them. I found this one laying on the shelf in the regular toy section. Priced at just $3 I grabbed it more for the novelty.

As you can see the packing takes the form of a candy cane with a small bubble blister housing the two cars, Paso Fino and Hognose. I like how there is even a Christmas ornament on the card for you to write the name of the recipient. The back of the card shows the other two sets in this Christmas series...though good luck finding them.


I noticed with the first Micro Machines I purchased that the cars are numbered and these are no exception. Paso Fino is #146 and Hognost is #147. With only two series of 3 packs and 5 packs released thus far, I find it hard to believe that there are at least 147 Micro Machines already.


Paso Fino is some sort of red exotic sports car. The car itself features a few different paint apps: silver windows, silver accent for the head lights and tail lights and of course the white bow/racing stripes. Silver chrome is added to the rims/wheels.


Hognose is sort sort of off-road SUV. Paint apps include red for the windows and tail lights with yellow for the running lights on the front. Silver chrome has been applied to the wheels, including the spare on the back.

Growing up with the Galoob Micro Machines I have to say these new versions don't quite match up to the originals. I like them, but they don't quite stack up to the Galoob versions. The vehicles are well made and have free rolling wheels. I do like the fact that these vehicles received a holiday deco and I'd like to find the other two sets. If you are a fan of tiny vehicles such as these then you'll want to check what's left in the Christmas section at your local Target stores.

2 comments:

  1. Although Micro Machines came around when I was starting boxing up my toys... I do think they're cool. I'd love to get a VW bus or Ghia... or even some of those Star Wars sets from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Super City Van was my jam back in the day...though some of the Star Wars sets were really cool too.

      Delete