Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Transformers Works Capbots: Captimus Prime


Back in 2013 Takara Tomy unveiled a partnership with New Era, the popular sports hat maker. Capbots were transforming "hats", one for each faction. I grabbed Captimus Prime here for my Optimus collection. Was it worth the $30 odd dollar asking price?


Only in Japan would we see such a thing as a transforming hat. The premises may be a little off the wall, but the execution is surprisingly well executed. Captimus Prime features a large red Autobot emblem on the front of the hat. The cap's bill is blue, complete with faux stitching in the plastic. The flat bill contains a large New Era Fifty Nine "sticker" right in the middle.

On the back there is a smaller Autobot symbol as well as two hinges. It's a shame these hinges stick out as they do, but it's on the back so it doesn't detract from the front athesthic of the cap.


Captimus Prime looks pretty good if I do say so myself sitting here on the top of my G1 Fort Max!


Transformation from cap to robot is aided by a few tension springs. Once unfolded you can just pose the arms and legs more to your liking. The robot features more articulation that one might imagine. The shoulders, elbows and hips all have ball joints giving the figure a good range of motion. Thanks to the bill of the cap forming the comically large feet, Captimus Prime is very sturdy standing amongst your other Transformer toys.


I love how they sculpted a ball cap onto the head of Captimus Prime.


The pieces that form the top halves of the cap have some nice jets (or is it weapons) sculpted underneath. I'm going to go with jets as these pieces are normally folded down behind the robot.


Captimus Prime is rather small, standing at only 4 inches or so. He's barely taller than your average G1 Action Master if that helps put it into perspective for you. It's a fun, quirky toy that I often forget I have as Captimus stands amongst of sea of red and blue. Only recommended if you are a fan of odd Japanese Transformers or a diehard Optimus fan as myself.

5 comments:

  1. That photo with the cap on your Fort Max is awesome! I just looked it up on eBay and it's not cheap. But that makes sense, because it's the coolest Transformer I've seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bothered to look up what they are going for now, but I'm not surprised to hear they aren't cheap. It had to have a somewhat limited production run.

      Delete
  2. Haha you should leave it as Fort Max's cap permanently, it's a nice visual. I assume the other cap Megatron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the other is Megatron. Same mold, just in black and purple.

      Delete
  3. What an odd idea. They should have made the caps with different MLB logos on them. I would have been all over a NY Mets Transformer!

    ReplyDelete