Saturday, May 2, 2020

Transformers Prexio Mini Figures

Hasbro is not shy about sharing their Transformers license with other companies. Recently a small company from Hong Kong, Prexio Limited released some small PVC mini figures to discount stores. These were based on classic Generation One characters such as Optimus Prime and Megatron. My older brother happened to find all 6 at a Dollar Tree store.



The packaging for these mini figures are quite nice, something I didn't expect from an item manufactured exclusively for discount stores. Each figure comes in a small foil bag featuring the original 80's art from the toy packaging.



Each figure stands roughly 2 inches tall and are made of a hard plastic. The figures are in a fixed position so no articulated arms or legs. The paint apps are ok, but some of the colors used are questionable. Don't even get me started about how the hands are posed!


Outside of the hands, I really like this Optimus Prime mini figure. The mold itself is pretty nice, as are the paint apps. The paint on the face is a mixed bag, but I've seen worse.


I never have liked the Bumblebee character, but with his overexposure today I have come to loathe the character. At least this mini figure is based on his classic animation model and not his original toy.


Hands down Grimlock is the best of the Autobot figures. He's got some heft to him and looks like he jumped off the screen. I love his tiny arms.


Here is Optimus alongside one of Super 7's Keshi figures...which are in similar size to the original rubber Decoys from the 80's.


I have mixed feelings over Megatron. There is something about the face sculpt that I can't get past. Yes, it looks like Megatron...but it doesn't. I'm not sure about the black used on the lower portion of his torso or on his legs.


Starscream perhaps looks the worst of the bunch. The mold itself (minus the hands) isn't that bad, it's the color choices made that detract from the figure. The figure is cast in a metallic like silver plastic and in my opinion is too dark to mimic his original silver color in both animation and original toy. The head should have been painted black, just sans the red used for the eyes lacks any other paint apps.


Finally we have Soundwave, everybody's favorite transforming cassette recorder. The mold used for Soundwave gets the job done. It's not great, but it's better that Starscream. The paint apps are serviceable. I do like the large purple Decepticon insignia on his chest, nice touch.


Megatron with Super 7's Keshi figure of the Insecticon, Shrapnel.


For a buck a piece you get what you pay for. Well maybe a little more or a little less depending on the character, but none the less these make for a nice "desk bot" or just something to look at for a few seconds before discarding in a junk draw on placing into your favorite character collection. I'm glad my brother was able to pick up a set for me because I never saw them in my limited trips to the local Dollar Tree store.

6 comments:

  1. those are pretty neat. I was having a conversation with my 6 year old the other day about the Transformers and he asked me which one was my favorite, and I told him it was Soundwave. I didn't have many Transformers as a kid but did pick up Soundwave and loved that he came with the transforming cassettes, I don't even know if kids these days would get what's going on with his character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids barely know what CDs are let alone a micro cassette! Crazy how much times have changed.

      Delete
    2. Exactly, I guess if they were to revamp Soundwave he's have to be a transforming iPod.

      Delete
  2. These are really cool. I'd buy them if I ever stumbled across them at my local Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the whole set too. Grimlock is by far my favorite. If the arms moved that would have made a huge difference to me with these guys, but like you said "You get what you pay for".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the hands are annoying but for a buck they're ok. I only picked up Prime and Grimlock, and Grimlock easily is the best of the 6.

    ReplyDelete