Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Wizards of the Coast Transformers TCG Booster Pack

Some time ago Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast announced that they were working on a collectible trading card game for the Transformers brand. Time went on and I forgot about it, that was until San Diego Comic Con earlier this summer. An exclusive preview pack was made available, but I was unable to get my hands on one. However the booster packs showed up at my local Target a week or so ago and I grabbed a few.

I know most of my readers here come for sports cards, particularly baseball. However I can't be the only trading card fan, who likes things outside of sports...right? Anyhow, here are the contents to one of the booster packs I purchased.


The booster packs retail for $3.99 each and contain 8 cards. 7 of the cards are traditional trading/playing card size while the included foil card is oversized. I'm not too sure how I like this as I can't put these cards in regular 9 pocket pages. I've yet to hit my LCS to see if they have anything that will fit these larger cards, but I hope I can find something.


If nothing else these larger character cards do offer a larger view of the great artwork. Only one side has the holofoil treatment however, that being the side featuring the character's robot mode. If I'm reading the small text at the bottom of the card correctly, Jazz here is an Uncommon card. (you'll have to excuse the fact that these oversized cards don't come across any larger in my scans)



These four cards are all Commons. I've yet to figure out how to play the actual game, I'm waiting to buy a starter deck before I try that...but it seems pretty straight forward for a card game.


These two cards are Uncommons. I particularly am fond of the card on the right featuring the Decepticon Thundercracker.


Lastly we have the pack's only Rare card, an upgrade as it appears for the Autobot leader, Optimus Prime.

Even though I don't read the IDW Transformer comics, I do recognize some of the art and the artists. The cards in hand are quite beautiful and I'm sure at some point I'll sit down and create a section for these cards in my Transformers Bio Card Database.

3 comments:

  1. If I ever stumbled across these in a clearance bin, I'd buy some. I loved Transformers when I was a kid. I'd enjoy flipping through these just to check out the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't follow the comics so when I saw the action cards I was a little disappointed; I was hoping for images from the cartoon or the animated movie. But now, I'm a little more accepting of it since you recognized it from IDW.

    I've also been watching You Tube videos on how to play, although I'm confused by the one I was watching because the one guy had Optimus Prime and Shockwave as his players.

    I'm hoping it'll be successful, but I'm expecting Target to clear them out at some point and then I'll buy a bunch of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see an update from you about whether you've bought more, or gotten some from the new expansion. Gamestop was clearing out their stock of the boosters and even the Starter and Metroplex deck a while back (I got those two decks for half off, and got the last 2 boosters in the Chicagoland area). You can check on the Gamestop website to see if any in your area still have them in stock (search for "transformers trading").

    ReplyDelete