Monday, October 2, 2017

Jeepers Creepers 3


The long awaited 3rd installment of the Jeepers Creepers series finally made it's way to movie theatres...for one night only on 09/26/17. My older brother informed me of the screening and asked if I'd like to go. It's been ages since I've watched either of the two previous movies, but I'm always down for a good horror movie, especially if it doesn't fall under the supernatural genre.


I remember hearing that this movie was basically in "developmental hell" for several years. I wasn't sure this movie was ever going to be made if I'm being honest. In fact, the the movie's overall story has been changed at least once since the script was originally written.

Jeepers Creepers 3 takes part between the first and second movie, however originally it was to take place 23 years after the second movie. From what I've been able to gather, the movie was originally subtitled Cathedral. Trish Jenner, Darry's sister from the first movie, is now a mother of a teenage son anmed Darry, after her brother she lost 23 years ago. Trish has a reoccuring nightmare where her son suffers the same fate as her brother did, killed by the Creeper. Determined to prevent his from happening, Trish, who is now a rich and powerful woman, sets out on a final quest with Jack Taggart Sr. and Jr. to end the Creeper's reign of terror once and for all.

After watching the movie, I almost wished this story was the one they went with. Jeepers Creepers 3 wasn't bad, but for me it really didn't help advance the story. I still had a lot of questions about who the Creeper is and where he came from.

Now it wasn't all bad. While you can tell the budget was lower than the previous two movies, it was nice getting to see the Creeper out in the daylight as much as he was shown. His armored truck also played a big role in the movie, even more so than in the original. It was cool seeing all of his weapons and other surprises his truck had inside.

The other good part was that the original actor portrayed the Creeper yet again. The make up was very nice looking and some of the special effects were good. It wasn't an overall gory movie as many of the kills were done off camera, "Hitchcock" style. I was fine with that as I don't always have to see the brutal kill for it to have the same effect. In fact, I'd rather not see the kill and rather see the aftermath if the budget retrains the on screen kill from looking authentic.

I'm told Jeepers Creepers 3 will make it's way back to theatres for one night in October, so if you missed your chance in September you may want to head on over to Fathom Event's site and check to see if it'll be playing in your area. In my opinion it's not better than the first movie, but I've also seen far worse movies. I will say that it really makes me want to go back and watch the second movie now.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the first one in theaters years ago. Don't remember much about the movie except for my date laughing hysterically when she saw the bad guy (monster or alien?). I just remember the people around us looking at her... and her telling me "this movie is ridiculous". Not 100% sure... but I think we left before the movie finished. I guess that's why I never really looked into the 2nd (or 3rd) movie installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first movie, but it did have it's own style of "campiness" to it. I don't remember much about the 2nd, but since the 3rd takes place between the 1st and 2nd movies I may try tracking it down this October.

      Delete