Saturday, September 8, 2012

Beast Saga



I find Takara Tomy's pending release of their new Beast Saga line very intriguing.  I always liked how Takara tied in the beasts with the Transformers G1 continuity.  I don't think Takara Tomy intends to intertwine the two brands this time around, but from what I can tell from the story behind Beast Saga it does take place on the same planet as the G1 Beastformers - Planet Beast.




No more fire, water and wood...but I'm OK with that.  I actually think I prefer these elements a little more.


The toys themselves have been "upgraded" from what we had in the 80's.  I love the new look, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the dice in their chests.  Apparently these dice launch out as part of the new play pattern.  What, no more run symbols?!  The included weapons are also a nice touch.



Not all of the designs I've seen have wowed me (most of the water designs I haven't cared for), but these seem to be priced fairly cheap so I might have to grab one for a hands on review.  BBTS has pre-orders up for $7.99 each.

For a better look at this new line check out the official (Japanese) website and make sure to watch some pretty cool CGI videos while you're there.

3 comments:

  1. I am all for a Battle Beast revival-one of my favorite toy lines ever-but the squarish chest/dice shooting feature comes close to ruining it for me. Instead of a toy first design, it is an action-feature delivery device. It reminds me of the Badaman line-hopefully the plastic will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I feel about these guys. I loved Battle Beasts like the rest of us, but for some reason I don't like these new designs. I think the simplicity of the "arm articulation only" on the original figures was what I liked best and these guys look a little too bulky because they're trying to fit in too much articulation.

    Still...knowing me, I'll still pick up one or two for my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are going to be a pass for me, even though the original figures were connected to G1 I don't really feel a need to get these updated versions. Too far outside my sphere of interest :)

    ReplyDelete