Friday, May 4, 2012

M.A.S.K.: The Collector w/ Alex Sector

Keeping the current theme of transforming toys we'll take a look at a M.A.S.K. toy that I unearthed from my crowded closet a few months ago while moving my collection room at home.

Photobucket

The Collector was released in 1987 as part of the 3rd series dubbed "Racing Series".  Now most of the M.A.S.K. toys were transforming vehicles, but there were a few playsets such as this one.  I know the idea of a transforming toll booth may not be the most exciting, but Kenner did a pretty good job with what they had to work with here.

Photobucket   Photobucket

The Collector came packaged with a new version of Alex Sector.  He was originally packaged with the toy Rhino (one of the best vehicles from the line).  His mask is the Disruptor which is basically the 2nd version of the mask he had w/ the Rhino set.

From what I can remember his used his Disruptor mask to disrupt VENOM's radio transmissions.  His Jack Rabbit mask that allowed him to fly was way better.  I always looked at him as the Wheeljack of M.A.S.K.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kudos to Kenner for using real life companies for the Racing Series toys.  The Collector is a small tollbooth as you can see.  The gate can swivel left and right as well as be raised up and down.  Other than that there aren't any real play features in this mode.

Photobucket

Transformation into the battle installation is really simple.  Fold down the sides, lift up the room and extend the gun hidden in the arm gate.  The red gun and missile on each side are removable and can swivel a full 360 degrees.

Photobucket

Since Alex serves as the computer expert on the team its no surprise there are all sorts of 80's looking computers inside.  

Photobucket

There are two small pegs on the floor to hold the figure in place.  I guess I should've turned him around before I snapped the pic.  At least he would have given the appearance of working on the computer instead of standing here looking board.

I was a big fan of M.A.S.K. growing up, but thanks to my crowded box already full of Transformers and G.I. Joe figures I never owned many M.A.S.K. toys.  I only own one other toy (Raven) so I'm not sure why I still have this one, but for it's size and simplicity it still is a pretty cool toy.

5 comments:

  1. I was a big M.A.S.K. fan as well growing up. I eventually gave up collecting them to make room for more Transformers. Every once in a while, I find myself searching for M.A.S.K. figures and vehicles on eBay. They sell for a lot less than I thought they would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some of the toys don't go for as much now as they have in the past, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Stilleto, Wolf Beast and Fireforce can still fetch a pretty penny in complete and good conditions.

      Delete
  2. I literally just had to look up all three of those to remember those vehicles. The Stilleto looks awesome. I was always partial to the Condor and the Pirahana myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you catch Toy Hunters where Jordan Hembrough (sp) met the guy who designed the Slingshot and managed to snatch a Switchblade and Firefly MIB for 75 bucks? Kinda wishy washy on the show but it had it's moments just to see the toy designers, prototypes and factory goofs.

      Delete
  3. You are lucky to own Raven in the MASK series. It was one of the popular one I believe. Thanks for sharing these vintage toys. Really bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete