Friday, July 15, 2011

LEGO #7049 Alien Striker (Alien Conquest)

QUICK INFO:
Name: Alien Striker #7049
Line: LEGO Alien Conquest
Year: July 2011
Price: $4.99


LEGO sure doesn't seem to be running out of ideas for new themes.  When I was growing up it seemed so much simpler.  You had the Town/City theme, Castle and Space themes.  Now there are a smattering of different themes to choose from.  I generally don't pay many of them much attention other than a passing glance at the store, but I picked up the Alien Striker set on impulse and I have to say the whole alien invasion theme here works and is really cool.

Photobucket

Photobucket

For 5 bucks you get 2 great minifigures and a decent little vehicle.  With only 42 total pieces you'll have this set built in just a few minutes.

Photobucket

The minifigures are great!  The ADU (Alien Defense Unit) sports a helmet sculpt I haven't seen used in the past.  The visor fits down inside a recessed area so it doesn't flip up like on most of the helmets.  The included blaster weapon is a welcomed sight.  The ADU agent has one of the heads allowing you to display 2 different faces..."concerned" or "aggressive".  The alien figure...well...is awesome.  I liked the bug eyed alien figures that were in some of the Space Police sets and this fat head alien is just as cool.  I also love the shade of neon green used here.

Photobucket

I guess you call this little vehicle the Striker or Alien Striker.  It's essentially a small one seat skiff.  Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Photobucket

The one thing that keeps me from buying more LEGO sets is the price.  Let's face it LEGO toys aren't cheap and they rarely get clearanced.  If I can't find a good sale I usually pass over.  However it's refreshing to find cheaper sets such as this one that gives you a good bit of bang for your buck.  $5 for an entertaining toy is a good deal in my book.  I hope this theme catches on as I'd love to see what else they may have planned.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. You know, I've been tempted to buy this set a few times. But I'm only really intersted in the alien minifig. I'd love to find one of the pirate sets from the early nineties(that were about the size of this set). It cam with a pirate, a treasure chest, gold coins, and I think a palm tree and a shark(?). Last year I bought the little set of the space cop and the bug-eyed alien just for the alien and the little Lego $100 bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that Pirate set you're referring too! Some of those Pirate sets were really cool.

    FYI, the LEGO Store online has a Alien Conquest battle pack w/ a few of the alien minifigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the Alien invasion sets of the late 90's. I love the new Alien head sculpts and those things are definitely collectible. How long do you think until we see one in the Collectible Figures line?

    ReplyDelete