Saturday, July 23, 2011

Marvel Universe: Scarlet Spider

QUICK INFO:  
Name: Scarlet Spider
Line: Marvel Universe (Hasbro)
MSRP: $7.99
Year: 2011



Cloned from the DNA of Peter Parker to battle Spider-Man, the Scarlet Spider gradually turned into one of the web-slinger's most trusted allies and greatest friends.  Battling alondside Spider-Man, he found himself becoming something more than a clone - the Scarlet Spider had finally become a hero in his own right.


The Marvel Universe line rolls on with Series 3 featuring such characters as Dr. Doom, Skaar, Doctor Strange, Falcon and Spider-Man's clone, the Scarlet Spider.

When the Marvel Universe line started I found myself buying just about every figure released.  Down the road I've found myself with both limited space and funds for such things and I have cut back.  When I heard there was going to be a Scarlet Spider toy I knew I had to buy it for several reasons:
1) I first got back into reading comics while in high school working at a local drug store.  We always had the various Spider-Man titles on the magazine rack and what was the major story line at the time?  None other than the controversial Clone Saga.

2) I like the character!  I'm not a long time Spider-Man reader like my brother is so I don't have the attachment to the character's history.  That said I enjoyed the story and thought having a figure to display side by side w/ Spider-Man would be cool.
3) The Scarlet Spider later joined the New Warriors.  I'm a huge New Warriors fan and have always dreamed of having the team members in toy form.  I got my wish (sort of) with Firestar from the Spider-Man 3 pack.  Now I have one more.  I know it's a pipe dream at best,but I'm still waiting for Hasbro to make a classic Speedball figure!

I noticed when I found this series at local retail that Marvel yet again changed the artist for the packaging.  I'm not sure who supplied this art, but I don't like it.  I could deal with Mike Deodato and Oliver Coipel from series 1 & 2, but I don't like this darker, grainy artwork.  Didn't stop me from buying the figure though!

I've seen all of the figures in this wave except for the Falcon.  Figures as he is the other one I want.  Dr. Doom looks nice.  Better than the one in the comic 2 pack released earlier...but I'm trying to stick to Spider-Man and Avengers characters/villains at the moment.
Photobucket

Scarlet Spider features the new figure build.  The added swivel joint in the thighs makes a huge difference.  The figure sports all of the normal points of articulation that we all have come to expect with this line.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the blue sweat shirt.  The colors are spot on.

Photobucket  Photobucket

While I generally like these new action figure stands, I don't care for the peg placement on Scarlet Spider's stand as it hinders certain poses.  You have to bend the legs at the knees and it just makes the figure look awkward.  Thankfully the figure is well proportioned and can stand on it's own without the need of the stand.

Outside of Constrictor that I bought at the big comic book convention this summer I haven't bought many Marvel Universe figures lately.  However Hasbro has come a LONG way since the first wave and the quality just keeps getting better and better.  This is a solid figure and a must have for any Spider-Man (or his clone) fan!

2 comments:

  1. I am also hoping Hasbro will release a classic Speedball figure. When I first started collecting comics, I got into 3 titles...The Punisher, Avengers West Coast and New Warriors. Speedball was by far my favorite character. I kind of think he would be a human version of Blurr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to be on the lookout for this one. I've been contemplating a Spider-Man action figure collection and figures like this are the reason why. Right now my goal is to collect all of the 2099 figures.

    ReplyDelete