Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Masters of the Universe Origins: Tri-Klops


COVID was devastating on so many levels in 2020 and 2021. Even the toy industry wasn't able to escape unscathed as distribution channels all but shut down at times. Tri-Klops, part of the Masters of the Universe Origins line was released at the height of these issues in 2021 and as a result became incredibly tough to find. Fast forward to today and this figure can command some high prices on the secondary market. Honestly, I was unaware of this side effect until I started prepping this post. I had good luck for while at least, finding most of the figures at my local Walmart though I can't exactly pinpoint where or when I grabbed Tri-Klops.


The evil three eyed minion of Skeletor comes packaged in the familiar Masters of the Universe retro styled packaging. Being released in 2021, it has the "New for 2021" bit in the top left corner. The back of the packaging contains some beautiful artwork across the top, while the lower half shows off the features of the figure along with a cross sell of additional figures in that wave.


Tri-Klops wasn't one of my favorite henchmen of Skeletor, but his Origins figure does a great job at capturing the look of the vintage figure and bringing it into the modern here and now. He has his classic rotating visor with three different eyes and classic green armor. His loin cloth and boots are painted black to match his original look.


In the accessory department he only comes with one item, his classic green sword. This sword is cast in a softer, more pliable plastic and it can be sheathed on his back. Like with all Origins figures, the head and limbs are removable just in case you want to swap parts and create your own character. The figure has your standard points of articulation. I believe I counted 14 points total.



Just like on the vintage figure, you can rotate his visor to display anyone of his three eyes. I wasn't a huge fan of the Filmation animated series as a kid, but I do remember Tri-Klops having displaying different abilities depending on which eye was front and center. I think his "angry eye" looks the best as it makes him look more menacing.
Tri-Klops is a solid addition to any Masters of the Universe Origins collection, however unless you absolutely must round out your cast of evil doers I would say pass, especially at the inflated secondary market prices. Then again, I've never been a huge fan of the character...well that is until I saw how crazy he was in the Netflix Masterverse show!

1 comment:

  1. Given how closely it resembles the original figure, I don't understand why someone would pay a large sum for this one when they could just go get an original for a fraction of the price?

    ReplyDelete