Monday, February 28, 2022

GI Joe: Ninja Speed Cycle (Forever Clever Building Set)


When I first learned of new building block GI Joe sets I was so excited. I didn't hate Hasbro's Built to Rule sets, though they weren't quite on the level of LEGO. Fast forward to today and the license has been given to a company that I've never heard of, Forever Clever. I'm not sure if these building sets skipped regular retail or not as I've only seen them at discount stores such as Ross, TJ Maxx and Ollie's. I believe this retailed for $3.99 which is pretty cheap...just like the product itself. I went ahead and grabbed a few of the various sets, but after opening this one I may not even bother with them.

The best part of these sets by far is the packaging. The cardboard box itself is really thin so if you're thinking about grabbing a set or two for display, good luck finding one in good condition. The artwork for the front of the box is straight from the 80's, complete with the explosive background. A small product shot graces the bottom right corner of the box with a piece count above in the upper right corner. The back of the box shows a larger image of the product along with a small cross sell of some of the other sets down the left side.


At just 44 pieces the Ninja Speed Cycle is easy enough to build...if the pieces weren't crap and the set would actually hold together. I should've known this was a piece of trash...just look at the actual cycle! The "guns" on the front look silly and the rest of the proportions just look off. Turn the bike to the side and you'll really see how ridiculous it looks.


The little black bike you see underneath all the blocks is your standard LEGO sized motorcycle. The wheels are rubber, but both tires in the set had horrible flashing hanging off the tires. I had to take a razor blade to cut this excessive plastic off just so the wheels would roll. 

All of the blocks on top of the cycle barely stay together. If you look at the handlebars of the actual motorcycle you may notice a flat 6 stud block just sits on the handlebar. The gray piece that holds the guns also will barely hold onto the bike. I should also mention that Snake Eyes can't actually ride the cycle. Yes. I'm serious. 


The included Snake Eyes minifigure is probably the best part of the set. The figure is on par with dollar store building block figures. It's light weight as the plastic used isn't the greatest. The back of the legs are hollow as well, contributing to the figure's feather like weight. The deco on the chest and head is decent, but the little nub on the head for the nose is distracting. Had I not been so eager to move onto something else after opening this set, I would have grabbed a LEGO figure for a comparison shot.

I will probably open and build one of the 3 Cobra HISS Tanks that I have, but the rest of the sets I purchased will most likely stay sealed until I can find a sucker buyer to take them off my hands.

Overall this thing is just garbage. I tried to be positive, but I honestly can't find any redeeming qualities here. Maybe, just maybe you buy it for the figure...but temper your expectations because you'll probably be disappointed.

7 comments:

  1. I've seen these at Bargain Hunt stores and Five below. They just looks so cheap! I'm honestly surprised Hasbro was even willing to license out the G.I. Joe brand for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say I'll be surprised if Hasbro collaborates with Forever Clever again in the future!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Hasbro's in kind of a bind with G.I.Joe and brick built stuff. Mega Construx seems like the best fit but they're part of Mattel, so that's not happening. I know Lego has been moving away from their stance against military toys when they show up in some licensed properties but G.I. Joe seems like it would be too much for Lego, plus it just doesn't seem popular enough of a brand for Lego. After Kre-o, I can't see Hasbro getting back into their own brand, either.

      Delete
  2. I saw this set at the flea market two weeks ago. I would have paid $5 for it, but the guy was set on $10. I pretty much wanted it for the mini-figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know these existed. Look fun, but cheap. Great packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the packaging is the best part...and that's really not saying much!

      Delete