Friday, March 19, 2021

Halo: Master Chief


I really have been out of the toy loop over the last year so you can imagine my surprise when I saw new Halo toys hanging on the pegs at my local Target. The popular video game brand was now licensed to Wicked Cool Toys, a rather new toy manufacture. Prior to this line I was loosely familiar with WCT thanks to their Micro Machines license they also held. I loved the Halo games on the Xbox 360 and I like to have little video game related figures to display in my game room, so I thought I'd at least pick up this Master Chief figure to see what these new figures were like.

The packaging is pretty plain as most of it is a large bubble. At least it's easy to see the figure and what is included. The bottom right corner does offer some small artwork. Flip the packaging over and you're treated with a large image of Master Chief himself. I found this rather odd that they didn't use the back to showcase the figure and it's accessories or even a cross sale of other toys in the series.


The figure stands around 3 1/2 inches tall and is very detailed. The olive green armor shows some wear all over, especially the silver blast on the chest. The metallic gold paint used on his visor looks great and looks like it's reflecting light. Both hands are sculpted to hold his weapon in either hand. With today's age of modern action figures I'm kind of surprised additional interchangeable hands were included.


Master Chief comes equipped with his trusty MA5C assault rifle. The weapon is molded in back plastic and the majority of the gun as a dull sheen to it. Part of the gun as added gray paint as well. There is a small peg on the side of the gun that allows it to be pegged into the back of the figure. I particularly like this feature as it makes for some nice poses and it just makes since - especially since Master Chief can only wield two different weapons at one time. A hexagon shaped stand is also included with the figure and appears to be able to connect to additional stands.


Master Chief has all the articulation that one would expect from a modern action figure. The joints were really stiff right out of the package, but I was able to at least pull of this kneeling pose. I say it all the time that if you come here for dynamic action figure photography you will be disappointed because I suck at posing action figures!

Over all I am impressed with Wicked Cool Toys' Halo offering. At the time I picked up this figure the line had just launched so there wasn't much variety offered. Now there are several other figures from the Halo mythos including some really cool looking villains and even vehicles. I've seen the Warthog and the Ghost vehicles and both look fantastic. I don't have much room to display larger toys like vehicles anymore, but based on this figure I'm sure they are just as well made.

If you are a fan of video game toys then I think you'll find this new Halo series to your liking. They aren't as detailed as the older McFarlane line or even the Jazwares, however I believe WTC has done a pretty good job with these.

No comments:

Post a Comment