Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Transformers Alt-Modes: Optimus Prime

I've been collecting Transformers since their debut in 1984. I've seen a lot of different product come and go over the years, but nothing quite like Transformers Alt-Modes. I'm finding it difficult to describe what these are and why someone thought these were worth the plastic used to make them.


Alt-Modes come packaged in blind box like cardboard boxes and were packaged in a tray for retail stores. The first wave featured 8 different characters, but these aren't blind packaged like you may think. On the back of the box was a small hole that if you were patient enough, you could line the toy inside up with the hole to get an idea of which character was inside. The first time I bought one of these I thought I had Optimus Prime, but ended up with the Decepticon Thundercracker instead. It wasn't foolproof, but at least you had some sort of idea and weren't going in blind.


So what are the Alt-Mode toys? Well it's a giant head with either an Autobot or Decepticon emblem on the top. When you fold up the emblem (as shown) and pull it up, a spring loaded transformation of sorts happens and it switches from a chibi vehicle to a small robot body. It's an odd novelty, I'll give you that. They retailed for way too much ($6 or $7?) and they didn't sell well because eventually they would wind up in close out stores like Five Below and Ollie's.

I have two of these in my collection - Optimus Prime and Thundercracker. If I didn't collect those two characters I'm not sure I would've even kept these things. If you like odd toys then these may be right up your ally, but otherwise you may want to stay far, far away from these!

5 comments:

  1. I'd probably bust a few of these and add them to my toy shelf in my classroom... if I found them for $2 or $3. $6 or $7? No way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few bucks is all they are worth. I bought Optimus and Thundercracker for the character collection...though I should’ve waited for them to hit clearance!

      Delete
  2. I picked up one or two of them when Target was clearing them out. They're still boxed up. I don't remember which ones I got but I was sure to see in the hole to make sure I didn't get dupes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How big are they? They look like McDonald's toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are glorified McDonald's toys essentially. The heads themselves are about 2 inches tall and when "transformed" into robot mode are probably 2 1/2 inches? Honestly, they aren't worth the money I paid.

      Delete