Thursday, June 30, 2011

Burger King Transformers Dark of the Moon Flip-Outs

Fast food and Hollywood always seem to be intertwined when summer rolls around and this year is no different.  The latest live action Transformers flick has hit theaters this week and so has the latest promotion at Burger King.

Fast food promotional toys and Transformers have never meshed well in my opinion outside of the first McDonald's Beast Wars promo in the mid 90's (ok, some of the toys sucked, but some were cool).  When I first heard the news about these new DOTM BK Flip-Outs I quickly discounted the idea and moved on.  Running short on cash and hungry I hit up the drive-thru and got me a Big Kids Meal so I could see first hand what these toys were like.

Photobucket  Photobucket

Right out of the bag I wasn't sure what to think.  I was a little surprised to see the level of detail sculpted into this large floating head.  They did a good job capturing the movie likeness of the Autobot weapons expert Ironhide.

Photobucket

The gimmick here if you will is that the head splits open to reveal a small body inside...a la Pretenders from the Generation 1 age!  Ok, now I'm hooked on these.  I didn't bother to look at the included "instructions", but I did notice the small gray button on the body.

Photobucket  Photobucket

Once the body is folded underneath the large head you have your "transformed" robot.  Just like I noticed the small gray button on the robot's back I noticed the little camera like lens on the front.  I tried holding it up to the light to see if I could see anything.  Nothing.  I pushed the button.  Nothing.  I saw a small black switch on the back beside the button...but it didn't want to see to do anything.  So I took a peek at the instructions and found that the switch has to be flipped to the "on" position by moving it up.  When you press the button you now get a Batman like symbol shining on the wall!

Photobucket
It was really hard to get a good picture, but as you can see it shines a red Autobot symbol on whatever you aim the robot at!  I had no idea these Flip-Out toys even had this feature.  I'm still unsure if all of the toys do this or if each toy has its own unique gimmick.

These little figures have a Japanese feel to them with the whole super deformed vibe.  There have been some really BAD Transformers related fast food premiums over the years, but these seem to buck that trend.  They almost look like little bobble heads.  I'm not going to go crazy and put thousands and thousands of calories into my body to pick up more of these, but I wouldn't mind having Optimus and Shockwave.  If you're hungry and are planning on picking up a burger then why not hit up BK and grab one of these.  At least it'll make a nice desk ornament for your office.

No comments:

Post a Comment