Sunday, April 15, 2012

So many boxes, so little space

One of the down sides to amassing a large collection of toys as most of you know is space.  Late last year I gave up my man cave downstairs in our home in order to help my wife's in home business.  I consolidated all of those items/furniture along with my toy collection into the 2nd largest room in the house.  When I started to move everything I thought this would be perfect.  I'd have more room to display my toy collection and more storage space.  And then came the part where I actually started moving everything.  I took more and more of my Transformers out of their boxes to display.  I only keep the foreign packaging these days, but in my old set up I had worked in a lot of the vintage Japanese G1 boxes into my set up.  I didn't have that luxury any longer so off to the closet they went.  This is where I ran into trouble.

Photobucket

The closet is actually pretty big, but you can't tell from this picture!  In addition to all of the boxes there is also a full size book shelf that I worked in as well as my CD rack and several spill over comic boxes.  I don't have it in me to toss these boxes out or to even break them down so they'd be more compact.

Photobucket
Top shelf, left - my Optimus Prime / Convoy collection
Photobucket
U.S. & Japanese G1 Transformers
Photobucket
Stacked and packed!
Photobucket
Top shelf, right - mostly Japanese G1 Destron boxes (including Darkwings giftset, Dinoforce, Breastforce & Beastformers)
Photobucket

I have really enjoyed blogging about toys since I started this blog a few years ago, but even more so recently.  That said I've got some great things in store for this year, but don't expect to see a lot of the vintage packaging.  I'm not about to go in the closet and tear it apart just to grab one box.  I hate that I may have to use stock images in future reviews, but as you can see I've had to work each box in this closet as it were a Tetris piece!

3 comments:

  1. Space is becoming an issue for me, not too mention all the packaging.

    I would have preferred to keep everything but since I can't I've had to toss the insides and fold down the boxes. The only ones I didn't are the foreign ones. Encore, third party, Takara and the like. And it's still taking up a lot of space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pretty much done the same thing. I gave up a long time ago on keeping Hasbro packaging. Most of the stuff you see in my closet is Japanese or European boxes.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I know exactly what you mean! My closet doesn't look quite like that, but it is getting close! I have all of my MOTUC in the top of the closet in their mailers, and then my ton's of board games hanging out too! then my vintage stuff is in the bottom where it can fit.

    ReplyDelete